Tuesday, December 7

Well, well, well

When "hubby b" (AA) left. He called me everyday. He told me sweet things like "I don't know why I married you." "You must have tricked me because I never would have married a bitch like you" "Don't act like I'm responsible for your situation I didn't even want kids". At the time NO ONE wanted me to maintain contact with him. It was bad for me and bad for the girls, supposedly. I maintain though that continuing contact provided Syd with the opportunity and environment she needed so that she didn't feel like it was her fault. He wasn't mean to me in front of the girls (after we were living somewhere else). I was devastated and wanted him to go far away but my girls needed to know their dad. He is a good dad right now. He may not be fiscally responsible but he loves them, plays with them, and they love him fiercely. I'm glad. He may still be a thorn in my side occasionally but he is a great dad. A human but a great dad. Yes, he had a "mental break" of sorts. I can (and so can everyone else apparently) cut him alot of slack because he went crazy to be blunt. But he hurt me and he hurt Syd and it was wrong. We could have walked away. That would have compounded the mistake. I don't think anyone can doubt at this point the veracity of his devotion to his children. But look back three years when people said that he was using the children to get to me.
I am not in agreement with the idea that there is a limit on forgiveness beyond which you become a "doormat". A doormat is someone, at least in my estimation, who is trod upon emotionally. Someone who consistently allows others to "walk all over them". Is this what you all see me becoming? I beg to differ. I am not a doormat. I am a forgiving, loving, generous human being who prefers the high road because it reaps, in my estimation, the most "long-term" benefits. I can understand the short term benefit of shutting yourself off to others and to hurt but I do not understand the long term benefit of holding on to anger, hate, grudges, and general malice. The cliches are true. Hate doesn't hurt the person you hate it hurts you. I know that you are not suggesting I hate but that I distance myself from him but I was so close to him that the only way to distance myself from him would be to divide my heart in two. I can't do it. I won't.
My girls bonded to him (SR). Forget his motives for a moment and consider my children. They want to see the man they called Daddy. He is the only father-figure X has ever lived with. With him she finally got to have what Syd had once. The opportunity to have a daddy in the house. And Syd got to have it once again. Imagine your homes without fathers for a moment ... Darth's sons without him or Pen's daughter without D. He wasn't the best dad there is no question. He isn't in the same league as Darth or D but he was a Dad to them.
And while we're talking trash about SR lets remember when about April of
2003 when I walked out of a movie and my life changed forever. I had a seizure. What followed was fear, pain, anxiety and confusion. I had no insurance, no money and now I was going to lose my car and my job! WHO HELPED ME THEN?! SR did. It was his insurance that paid for my many, many hospital stays, for the prescriptions, the ambulances and it was his accounts, his pay which paid for the literally thousands of dollars of bills which were remaining after the insurance was done. It was SR who paid the $400 a month for Syd's school. It was SR who drove me to every appointment, who stayed in the hospital every night with me, who held my hand when the medications made me violently ill and then mentally unhinged. It was SR who had to watch me seize and comfort my girls when they were so scared. He did that. He made them feel like it was going to be OK. and it was. I am alive today because of SR. Literally. My doctor has said many times that without treatment I probably would have suffered severe brain damage and I know that a few of you are aware that some of the "treatments" we tried caused suicidal ideology. I would be dead without his constant vigilance through that time. So let's just cut the shit about how he never did anything for us.
Karen may have said Fuck this. But she would have said that because she didn't want me to get hurt anymore. She told me once that her mother suffered while she died because she was a bitter angry woman. Now I didn't hold stock with that theory especially considering how Karen needlessly suffered as she left us (if you never had the opportunity to meet her then I feel very sorry for you because she was an amazing woman who on many opportunities helped me see the truth and helped me become the woman I am today (see description above) But I think it speaks to a larger philosophy in her life that holding on to bitterness and anger leads to suffering later on. I may have completely misunderstood Karen's intent when she told me that but that's what I got out of it. She didn't think it was a good idea to hold on to the bad shit. She told me repeatedly "let it go".
I love all of you my family and friends. I know that you want the best for us.
I don't want my children to hurt. Take away my own hurt and I am left with the knowledge that they want to see him and he wants to see them. They don't care about his motives or the lack of shared biology. They think he is their Dad. They were lucky, we told them once upon a time, they had two dads. They want their Dad and it can only hurt them to prevent it. The last time they saw him we had met him at a McDonald's. We were well into our current predicament but Syd had asked to see him so I arranged it. He got down on his needs and told each one of them separately how sorry he was and that what was happening was not in any way about them or their mother. He told them he loved them. I don't care if he was completely full of shit. They needed to hear that and they needed to hear it from him. He is not going to take them away somewhere by himself. He is going to see them on my terms when and where I choose but I'll be damned if I'm going to look at them and lie and say he hasn't asked to see them when he has. They need to feel confident that they are not to blame for this. And they want to see their dad. And so they will. .. even if that makes everybody think I'm a fool or a doormat. Only time will tell which path was best but for now I'll take the high road.

2 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Blogger Penny said...

I didn't mean to be so harsh, I just don't want the girls to have the hope that you will reunite. I also don't want them to feel any blame for anything, Like my sisters' H. Is he in a mentally safe mode at this time? Will his words cause more harm than good? Will his actions?

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger darth sardonic said...

sarah jane-
sweetie, sweetie, you know i love you. having said that, here it comes. sr DID help you when you needed it. that's what he does. it's the second time he's helped you. but what happens when you no longer need help? i'm only going on what you yourself have told me, but he treats you like shit.

i don't think "letting go of anger and hatred" translates into "setting yourself up for repeated pain and anguish". i'm not suggesting you kill him, or never speak to him again ever, i'm suggesting you remove yourself from contact with him for now, because his modus operandi is to get you to feel sorry for him, leave you thinking he'll get back in contact with you, and then sodding off. and i've been there with you while you agonize over the fact that he hasn't called for two weeks or three weeks or whatever. you keep saying "i fell for it again. i should know better than to be waiting for his call, but i am."

how long do you plan to go through this under the guise of taking the high road? and speaking as a kid who weathered through a divorce at the young age of 5, and not seeing his dad but once or twice a year for four years, kids get over it. they're incredibly resilient.

i know that's probably not what you want to hear from me, but i just hate to see you keep setting yourself up to be hurt.

whatever you decide i will support you cause i love you. i just want to see you happy.
darth sardonic

 

Post a Comment

<< Home