Sunday, October 17

It's not a tumor... Oh wait it is and so are some people I know.

Well I go under the knife on Tuesday. I'm tired and nervous but basically calm. My employer is not sure if they will be able to "hold" my job for me. I have not worked there long enough to qualify for federal protection under the Family Medical Leave Act. I'm trying to think of this as an opportunity but I'm struggling.
In other news...
I recently sent out an email condemning Measure 36 up for vote on the Oregon ballot. It would amend the constitution to specifically outlaw gay marriage. I'm opposed for many reasons. One of my apparently less intelligent friends didn't just reply to me she replied to all. And it wasn't good. It's OK to disagree I'm OK with that but she didn't tell just me her thoughts she shared them with my friends none of which she knows. Her last retort actually said that legalizing gay marriage opens the door for legalizing things like sex with kids and animals. I swear to God that is the most ignorant prejudice thing I have heard in a long while. So today I sent out an apology to my friends for exposing them to this ugly debate. I maintain that it is OK to disagree politically with your friends but now I'm having a hard time getting over the knowledge that she is so prejudice. I was so offended by her response. I'm truly shocked. I expected people to not like the idea of gay marriage but comparing homosexuality to pedophilia and beastiality! Then she says the obligatory, "don't take this as anti-gay. I have gay friends". Good for you! Do they know how you feel about them? How can you be friends with people who you honestly believe are going to burn in hell for their moral depravity? Maybe I'm being closed minded. I'm find her ideas so abhorrent I can't seem to think clearly about the subject.
The good news is I'll be in the hospital for a week on mind altering pain medication followed by 6 weeks of recovery at least so I guess I'll have plenty of time to figure it out.

Finally, I want to thank my sister and her husband for their generosity and kindness. They have not only loaned me a car but my sister is coming to take care of me my first night in the hospital which is the worst night to be alone. I am so grateful that I have you guys. Thank you thank you thank you.

1 Comments:

At 11:01 AM, Blogger darth sardonic said...

sarah jane-

we would do more if we could. and as for your looney-ass friend, well, at least now you know how she thinks. if she has gay friends, she really should ask them how they feel about the legalization of gay marriage. that's what i would do.

but then, i'm a different breed of cat. i'm sure all will go well, and my wife will take good care of ya.

darth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home