Tuesday, August 31

Essays I never thought I'd write

I am writing my great aunt's obituary. She is at the end of her life and I don't want to have to rush to do something after the fact when I know my emotions will be overwhelming. She deserves better than that. There are so many things I want to say but I have to narrow it down. She was born in 1907. That is a lot of life to narrow down. She is my one. Everybody has one or should anyway. That one person who you admire more than anyone. I have the honor of not only knowing the person I admire more than anyone but having that person love me. She has been a guiding force in my life forever. My earliest memories involve her. I remember being very small and touching her jewelry. She has worn the same bracelet my entire life. She got it as a gift from her husband who died two decades before I was born. It's silver butterflies attached to each other wing tip to wing tip and she told me "the force that propels a butterfly's wings in the true reality". I remember smiling but I didn't know what she meant. Now I do. I remember when we sat cuddled in the hide-a-bed, my sister, my aunt and I, watching Diana and Charles get married. We had the sound off so that we wouldn't wake my parents but we listened to the commentary on her little transistor radio. We sat on either side of her and she had the radio in the middle of her chest with one arm around each of us so we could all hear it. She remembers the first cars, the Titanic sinking, both world wars. I am at a loss for how to sum up such an amazing life. but I will. and I am honored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home